Monday, February 7, 2011

Why?

This is Dallin's new favorite word.  Just recently he has started asking me why? when I tell him something.  He doesn't always use it in the right context or completely understand how to use it yet because he doesn't always wait for me to respond.  For the most part though he does understand and uses it to learn more about what is going on.  Sometimes it is very repetitive, but I try to use it to my advantage and take the time to teach him something or explain further the situation.  It's amazing how fast they learn and how it seems like he's just a little sponge taking it all in. 

Here is a funny conversation we had the other day.

Mom: Dallin please don't walk around with the bucket on your head.
Dallin: Why?
Mom: Because you are going to run into the wall or fireplace.
Dallin: Why?
Mom: Because you can't see where you are going.
Dallin: Oh!

We have had many conversations like this the past couple of days.  Sometimes I have noticed that he asks me why? to prolong doing something like taking a nap or cleaning up.  He thinks that if he keeps me talking that maybe he can get out of it.  So far I have been able to come up with answers that he seems to accept so it doesn't last long.  I can't wait to see what he is going to ask me today. 

2 comments:

Carrie & the Boys said...

One of Eric's favorite things to say is "Oh" like he honestly understands what is being said. But he says it for everything. The other day Mitch was explaining in scientific terms how something worked and Eric says, "Oh" like it made complete sense. These kids are too funny!

Stacey and Kyle Nielsen said...

How funny!! Smart little boy!! :)