Thursday, August 7, 2008

Completely from Scratch

As most of you know we have a cherry tree in our backyard that we have been watching grow all summer. Well, the cherries are finally ripe and Scott wanted me to make him a pie. He was specific that he wanted a homemade crust too, not the frozen kind. I agreed that I would make him one if he would pick the cherries for me. He picked and washed them and the rest was up to me.


The part I was dreading was pitting all those cherries. They were pretty small so it took a long time to pit nearly 5 cups of cherries for just one pie, but I did it. Then, I searched through several recipes before I found the one I wanted for the filling. I was pleased when it turned out looking like cherry pie filling you buy in a can. I knew I was on the right track. I love to cook new things , but sometimes it can be a little scary.
I am still trying to master the art of making a good pie crust, so I was a little worried it was going to take me several tries to get it right. Thankfully, I was successful on the first try with both my crusts.

Even though it took several hours, I'm ecstatic to say the pie was a huge success. Now I can say I made a pie from scratch and really mean it. I guess I could always grind my own flour for the next one, but that sounds like a project for another day. It tasted very yummy and Scott really enjoyed it. I have also discovered that I really like taking pictures of food.

2 comments:

Kellee Smith said...

Oh Aimee how I wish you lived closer. I LOVE CHERRY PIE! Great work and it looks SOOOO good!

Smith Family said...

The pie was pretty much AMAZING!!!!!! I love my wife!! I said I'd pit them, but she took it in while I was at work. She's amazing.